Subscribe to email updates

Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Geezer goes back to his slush pile


Nice thing about being a geezer writer is that you've got so much stuff in the slush pile you sometimes forget what is there and then you come across it, start reading and say, "You know, this is pretty good!"

So, you reformat for Ebook requirements and print it out to edit and proof it once again after all these years and go, "Christ, this is good. How come some agent didn't want to represent this?"

So I'm going to get "Then and Now: the Harmony of the Instantaneous All" ready for Ebook distribution. It's set in the 1960s, University of Kansas. Actually, it's from the viewpoint of someone writing from later and looking back to the 1960s and trying to get his head out of that whole time slot and it ain't easy for him for a lot of reasons. It's got a really cool point of view. I look forward to turning it loose.

I meet Thursday with Michael Irvin, who designed the cover of Rabbletown and now is working on the cover of "Three Very Quirky Tales," a compilation of three short stories, two of them written recently to show that, well, I can still put pen to paper. The first story, and the one that will be the basis for the cover, is called "Tell Us Everything," about a punk rocker nutcase Goth girl who starts doing radio broadcasts from her apartment and, boy, does she tell some truths! If this story works for readers, I owe it to one of my favorite writers, Philip K. Dick. That guy could set a scene and get things moving faster than anyone else.

I've been spending a lot of time marketing "Crazy About You" with some success. A facebook page has been set up that is getting some good traffic.

Let me put a plug in for a very friendly author's page: http://authors.efictionmag.com/
It's new enough to be a welcoming place for writers. Some of the established sites are anything but. I've got the bruises to prove it.

2 comments:

  1. I've pulled old things from my files before and sometimes it's like I can't even recognize that I've written them. Some I'm impressed with, but others I hurry up and put back in the file, LOL. Somewhere in my last move, though, I've lost my box with all the old stuff in it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree. It's always inspiring to read old work. Well... sometimes it's comical, but often I find it inspiring :) Great post.

    ReplyDelete